Linda Mwananchi threatens protests during Kakamega empowerment event
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
- Kakamega-based Linda Mwananchi leaders demanded an apology from ODM county leadership over violence against their principals in Homa Bay
- Brian Lishenga and Bernard Mulama threatened to stage demonstrations on Saturday to counter a tuktuk empowerment event at Approved Grounds
- MCA Charles Anyona warned that Cabinet Secretaries Opiyo Wandayi and John Mbadi must publicly apologise before addressing rallies in western Kenya
Leaders affiliated with the Linda Mwananchi movement in Kakamega County have issued an ultimatum to the ODM county structure, demanding a public apology over violence meted out against their principals in Homa Bay Sunday, August 16.
They threatened demonstrations on Saturday, August 22, that would disrupt a planned tuktuk empowerment event at Approved Grounds.
Brian Lishenga, speaking to journalists Wednesday, August 19, described it as deeply troubling that leaders who previously worked alongside Senator Edwin Sifuna had chosen not only to stay silent after his attack but to congratulate Governor Gladys Wanga, whom they hold responsible for the chaos.
"We call out Kakamega leaders for keeping quiet when Sifuna is attacked. We want them to condemn what Gladys Wanga did to our son, or we will hold demonstrations on Saturday," Lishenga said.
He added that should Wanga and Homa Bay MP Peter Kaluma opt to guard Homa Bay on behalf of President William Ruto, then Linda Mwananchi would extend equivalent protection to Sifuna within their own territory.
Kakamega MCAs Join the Chorus
Mautuma Ward MCA Charles Anyona, who attended the press briefing, took aim at what he characterised as superficial government empowerment schemes, arguing that public funds would be better directed toward education and health services, which he said are in a dire state.
Anyona stated that the tuktuk distribution event would not proceed in Kakamega unless a senior leader from the county first publicly denounced Wanga for allegedly funding individuals who disrupted the Linda Mwananchi convoy.
"Fake empowerment will not help anyone instead, channel the funds to useful projects like education and health," Anyona urged.
Lumakanda MCA Bernard Mulama echoed similar sentiments, contending that the government had aligned itself with a single political faction and that Linda Mwananchi was therefore entitled to set its own terms.
He called on Nyanza authorities to arrest those who hurled stones at Linda Mwananchi convoys, noting that the perpetrators were publicly boasting about their actions on social media.
"As Linda Mwananchi, we will hold demonstrations in Kakamega town to counter the tuktuk empowerment, because you cannot abuse our own and later come to give us peanuts," Mulama said.
Demands Extended to Cabinet Secretaries
The leaders also directed their demands at Cabinet Secretaries Opiyo Wandayi and John Mbadi, warning that both must apologise to the Luhya community before they would be permitted to address any gatherings in western Kenya.
They further expressed disappointment in Governor Fernandes Barasa, who they noted had remained conspicuously quiet despite his close historical ties with Sifuna, who actively campaigned for him during the 2022 General Election.
The leaders maintained that they are committed to ensuring the law applies equally, warning that Saturday's planned events in Kakamega would not proceed as normal unless their conditions are met.
Source: TUKO.co.ke
Reporting originally appeared via TUKO. Read the full source for additional context.