Gov't resolves Cheluget land tussle, to issue title deeds to individual family beneficiaries
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
Gov't resolves Cheluget land tussle, to issue title deeds to individual family beneficiaries
Audio By Vocalize
Speaking at a public gathering at Kwalela Primary School in Narok South on Wednesday, Lands and Physical Planning Principal Secretary Nixon Korir said the Government had taken possession of the land and would immediately begin processing title deeds for individual families occupying the property.
“The resolution of the Cheluget land issue is part of the long list of historical land problems solved by the current Administration. I thank Narok Governor Patrick ole Ntutu and Narok South MP Kitilai ole Ntutu for the huge contribution they have made in the resolution of the matter,” Korir said.
The PS invited Julius Cheluget, the son of the land’s original owner, to confirm the settlement. Cheluget’s son told residents that the family had handed over the title deed to the Government and withdrawn court cases seeking the eviction of families living on the land.
“I have been sent here by the President to inform you that we have delivered on the promise he made on the Cheluget land,” Korir said.
Korir said the Government had also resolved the Angata Barikoi land dispute and addressed the boundary dispute involving the Mau Forest.
He added that following the issuance of a title deed for the Mau Forest, caveats previously placed on farms located outside the forest boundary would be lifted in the coming days.
Senate Majority Leader Aaron Cheruiyot thanked Governor Ntutu for working with the National Government to resolve the dispute.
“Many governments have come but none have resolved problems that affect Kenyans the way President Ruto has done. Last night, we saw the President exposing those who have been circulating fake news about SHA,” Cheruiyot said.
Governor Ntutu described the resolution of the dispute as evidence of President William Ruto’s commitment to delivering on his promises.
“I am happy today for the resolution of this matter. Today is a very historic day for us here,” he said.
Ntutu said Narok County had benefited from several projects under the current administration, including plans for an international airport, the proposed extension of the Standard Gauge Railway through the county and plans to construct 90 kilometres of tarmac roads in each of the six constituencies.
Narok South MP Kitilai ole Ntutu said resolving the Cheluget land dispute was among the key promises made during the 2022 campaigns.
The event was also attended by Water Principal Secretary Julius Korir, Emurua Dikirr MP David Keter and other leaders.
Reporting originally appeared via Citizen Digital. Read the full source for additional context.