No survivors: Police share names of 7 killed in Samburu helicopter crash
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
- A light aircraft identified as Lady Lorry crashed at Mt. Ololokwe in Samburu County, killing all seven people on board
- Samburu County Police Commander David Nkoroi confirmed thick smoke was seen rising from the crash site on Wednesday morning
- The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority confirmed a separate helicopter crash involving a Eurocopter EC130 B4, registration 5Y-GYM, in the same region
Amos Khaemba, a journalist at TUKO.co.ke, brings over four years of experience covering politics and current affairs in Kenya.
Seven people lost their lives after a light aircraft crashed at Mt. Ololokwe in Samburu County, with authorities confirming no survivors were found at the scene.
The aircraft, known as Lady Lorry, had been travelling from Soyian-Laikipia to Loisaba Conservancy when it came down.
Those who perished were identified as the pilot, Josh Outran, along with passengers Roger Duarte, Adam Navaty, Stephen Vasconquez, Henry Parra, Michael Contugi, and Suian Suarez.
Confirmation from county police
Samburu County Police Commander David Nkoroi confirmed the incident on Wednesday morning, noting that response teams had observed thick smoke billowing from the crash site before making their way to the scene to conduct emergency operations.
KCAA Confirms Second Aircraft Accident
The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority separately confirmed the aircraft accident in the region, this one involving a Eurocopter EC130 B4 registered as 5Y-GYM.
According to the Authority, that aircraft had departed from Loisaba and was heading to Ewasonyiro when the accident took place at approximately 0913 hrs local time.
"KCAA is coordinating with the relevant agencies and stakeholders in response to the accident. The Ministry of Roads and Transport, Air Accident Investigation Department is leading investigations on circumstances surrounding the accident," the Authority said in a statement.
The Air Accident Investigation Department, operating under the Ministry of Roads and Transport, has taken charge of establishing the circumstances that led to the incidents. KCAA said it was working closely with all relevant agencies and stakeholders as the investigations progressed.
Source: TUKO.co.ke
Reporting originally appeared via TUKO. Read the full source for additional context.