Gov't Announces Plan to Import 25 Million Bags of Maize
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
The government has announced plans to import 25 million 90-kilogram bags of maize to cushion the country against an anticipated shortage following reduced production in key maize-growing areas.
Speaking on Wednesday, August 19, Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said the imports are part of measures already being put in place to maintain adequate food supplies.
He explained that Kenya consumes an estimated 75 million bags of maize every year.
However, poor harvests in several major food-producing regions are projected to leave the country with a deficit of about 25 million bags.
Kagwe assured Kenyans that the government was prepared to manage the situation and maintain stable food supplies despite the expected shortfall.
Read More
"We will import maize. We have already made arrangements for that. We will manage the country. The country is not going to go hungry," he said.
Kagwe said the maize imports would provide an immediate response to the projected deficit, while the government continues to pursue measures designed to increase domestic agricultural production over the long term.
He pointed to the expansion of irrigation as one of the interventions being pursued to reduce the country's reliance on rainfall.
This comes two weeks after the government increased the producer price for locally grown wheat for the 2026 season, raising it to Ksh5,100 per 90-kilogram bag.
The new price represents an increase from last year's KSh4,750 per bag and is expected to benefit more than 2,000 wheat farmers across Narok, Nakuru, Meru, Laikipia, Nyandarua and Uasin Gishu counties.
In a statement on Friday, August 7, Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said the government had approved the new price to enhance returns for wheat farmers.
"The Government has approved a producer price of Ksh5,100 per 90-kilogram bag for locally produced wheat for the 2026 season, up from Ksh4,750 last year, in a move aimed at improving farmers' incomes while ensuring a stable and affordable supply of wheat to millers and consumers," the statement read.
Kagwe said the new pricing followed extensive consultations coordinated by the Agriculture and Food Authority (AFA), bringing together wheat farmers, cereal growers and millers to reach a balanced agreement.
"The decision follows extensive consultations coordinated by the Agriculture and Food Authority (AFA) involving the Cereal Growers Association (CGA), representatives of wheat farmers and cereal millers, culminating in a consensus that balances the interests of producers, processors and consumers," the statement added.
Kagwe added that the agreed producer price would apply at designated aggregation centres where the government has already begun purchasing locally produced wheat before allowing imports.
"The agreed price will apply at designated aggregation centres where the Government has commenced the ongoing wheat mop-up exercise ahead of any wheat importation, reaffirming its commitment to prioritizing locally produced grain and protecting domestic farmers," the statement further read.
Reporting originally appeared via Nairobi Leo. Read the full source for additional context.