Man police linked to Homa Bay chaos surrenders, but is turned away
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
A man who police named as a suspected actor in the Sunday political mayhem in Homa Bay has surfaced and presented himself to authorities.
However, in an interesting development, Oliver Ochieng Jaoko was turned away at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) headquarters on Kiambu Road, where he had surrendered on Tuesday. According to Embakasi East MP Babu Owino, who had accompanied him alongside Siaya Governor James Orengo, police told them that they are not aware of the matter.
After they were turned away, they headed to Muthaiga Police Station to attempt another surrender.
On Monday, the National Police Services (NPS) issued a statement naming Jaoko in relation to the chaos witnessed in Homa Bay where Linda Mwananchi rallies turned chaotic, with at least two people confirmed dead.
"The NPS is pursuing Oliver Jaoko, alias "Olivetti," who is currently at large, and directs him to surrender to the nearest police station to assist with ongoing investigations. Operations to apprehend him and all other individuals involved in the violence are continuing," NPS said in a statement.
But on Tuesday, Jaoko denied any involvement in the Homa Bay violence and says he is ready to cooperate with investigators.
He also claimed that he has previously worked with the current administration, but is now being targeted for joining the Linda Mwananchi movement.
Reporting originally appeared via Nation Africa. Read the full source for additional context.