"In 2 suitcases": Kaluma claims Uhuru funded Homa Bay chaos with KSh 100M
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
- Homa Bay Town MP Peter Kaluma named former President Uhuru Kenyatta, Governor James Orengo, and MP Babu Owino in allegations of financing violence ahead of an August 16 rally
- Kaluma alleged that KSh 100 million was delivered in two suitcases to Orengo's Ugenya home on August 14, purportedly from Uhuru Kenyatta
- The MP claimed youths and suspected criminals were recruited across towns and trading centres and offered KSh 3,000 each to attend the Linda Mwanainchi rally
Homa Bay Town Member of Parliament Peter Kaluma has publicly accused former President Uhuru Kenyatta, Siaya Governor James Orengo, and Embakasi East MP Babu Owino of coordinating the recruitment and financing of criminals ahead of an August 16 rally in Homa Bay County.
Speaking at a press conference in Parliament, Kaluma alleged that Orengo and Babu Owino deployed individuals across towns and trading centres in Omabe to recruit local residents, college students, and university students, each promised a payment of KSh 3,000 in exchange for their participation in the Linda Mwanainchi rally.
Allegations of KSh 100 Million Cash Delivery
Kaluma went further, claiming that on the night of August 14, 2026, KSh 100 million was delivered to Governor Orengo's home in Ugenya, Siaya, allegedly sourced from former President Uhuru Kenyatta. He said the funds arrived in two suitcases, each containing KSh 50 million.
"On 14th August 2026, at night, Kenya's shillings 100 million was delivered to Governor Orengo's home in Ugenya, Siaya from President Uhuru Kenyatta and this money was delivered in two suitcases, each carrying 50 million," Kaluma claimed.
He added that the following day, August 15, the funds were moved to Orengo's residence in Milimari Estate, Kisumu, allegedly to finance violence in Omabe under the cover of the rally.
Police Interception and Hotel Inspections
Kaluma stated that police intercepted vehicles transporting suspected criminals from Kisumu to Omabe on August 15, recovering crude weapons in the process. He claimed the gang leader, identified as Oliveti, evaded arrest by escaping through a window, and further alleged that police officers aided in his escape.
The MP also revealed that he had addressed a gathering of boda boda riders and constituents, predominantly women, warning them that hired criminals had been accommodated in hotels across Homa Bay County ahead of the rally. He directed hotel owners to maintain full guest records and threatened inspections to confirm no criminal elements were being harboured.
"I directed all hotel owners to ensure they had full details of their guests and indicated that we would be inspecting the hotels to ensure they harboured none of the hired goons and criminals," Kaluma said.
He claimed that after his address, many of the recruits relocated to hotels in Kisii, from which they later travelled to Homa Bay via Oyugis, Rangwe, and Rodi.
Kaluma also cited remarks attributed to Babu Owino, alleging the Embakasi East MP had made threatening statements before the rally, including a warning that families whose sons planned to attend should prepare graves for them beforehand.
Source: TUKO.co.ke
Reporting originally appeared via TUKO. Read the full source for additional context.