"Sitaki kuitwa sponsor": Crowd goes wild as Uhuru mentions Sifuna, calms them
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
- Former president Uhuru Kenyatta denied being Senator Edwin sponsor during the 23rd anniversary of the late former vice president Michael Kijana Wamalwa
- Uhuru had been facing accusations of bankrolling Sifuna's Linda Mwananchi movement following the senator's ouster from ODM
- The former president urged political leaders to seek votes peacefully after months of reported disruptions at opposition rallies across the country
Retired president Uhuru Kenyatta has publicly distanced himself from Senator Edwin Sifuna, insisting he is not the financier behind the ODM rebel leader's political movement.
He made the remarks after a crowd erupted in cheers when he mentioned Sifuna's name during a public address in Kitale on Sunday, August 23.
Uhuru was speaking at the 23rd anniversary commemoration of the late former vice president Michael Kijana Wamalwa, who died on August 23, 2003, when he listed Sifuna among the potential candidates Kenyans could freely choose in the 2027 General Election.
"Let us seek votes in peace. Voters have the expertise of knowing who they want. If they say it is Kalonzo, he will be: If they say it is Ruto, he will be; if they say it Matiang'i, he will be. If they say it is Sifuna, he will be," he said
The mention triggered immediate chants and ululations from those gathered, prompting the former president to quickly clarify his position.
"Please be cautious. I do not want to be called a sponsor or involved in issues. I have just said that Kenyans have a choice and there is no need to force any Kenyan on who to support. They will choose by themselves," Uhuru said.
Uhuru's call for peaceful political campaigns
Beyond the Sifuna moment, Uhuru's address focused largely on what he described as the deteriorating culture of political intimidation in the country.
He condemned incidents where rival political groups have been blocked from holding public rallies, a direct reference to recent events in Homa Bay county where Governor Gladys Wanga and MP Peter Kaluma were accused of preventing Sifuna's Linda Mwananchi team from accessing the area.
"This matter of blocking others from holding rallies is taking the country backwards and we want to move forward. If you want votes, seek them peacefully and humbly. You will be given or denied," Uhuru said.
The former president drew from his own electoral history to illustrate his point, noting that he had once sought the presidency, been rejected, tried again, and eventually succeeded. He cautioned leaders against assuming entitlement to public office.
"Everyone may say they want, but God will decide on one person. If they want good, they should be united, walk together, and respect one another," he added.
Background to the sponsor accusations
Uhuru's remarks come amid sustained accusations from government-aligned figures that he has been quietly funding Sifuna's Linda Mwananchi movement.
Sifuna, who was removed as ODM secretary general, has since built considerable nationwide support and is seen as a central figure within a broader opposition coalition that has repeatedly declared its intention to unite behind a single presidential flag bearer in 2027.
Uhuru was keen to frame his Kitale remarks as non-partisan, saying he holds no interest in any political seat and was simply grateful for the opportunity Kenya gave him to lead.
"Let people not say that my remarks are political. I do not have an interest in any seat. I am just thanking God for the life he has given me and the chance to lead Kenya," he said.
Source: TUKO.co.ke
Reporting originally appeared via TUKO. Read the full source for additional context.