Mobile phones, cameras: Belongings of Samburu crash victims retrieved from scene
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
- A chartered helicopter carrying six tourists and a pilot crashed and caught fire on Mount Ololokwe in Samburu county on Wednesday, August 19, 2026
- Recovery teams battled fierce flames and rugged terrain for six hours, managing to retrieve only four of the seven bodies before suspending operations
- Personal belongings including mobile phones and cameras were recovered from the wreckage and are to be handed to next of kin once victims are identified
A chartered helicopter transporting tourists crashed and burst into flames on Mount Ololokwe in Samburu County on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, killing all seven people on board, including the pilot.
The aircraft, a Eurocopter EC130B4 registered as 5Y-G and operated by Lady Lori, a chartered helicopter company, was ferrying six passengers from Soyan in Laikipa to Mount Ololokwe, a popular tourist destination known for its breathtaking views and sunsets, when it went down on approach to landing.
Recovery teams spent six gruelling hours at the site, with two helicopters deployed to ferry personnel and equipment to the steep, hilly terrain.
How many bodies were retrieved from Samburu chopper crash?
Despite those efforts, only four of the seven bodies were retrieved before operations were called off for the night.
Police confirmed that recovery of the remaining three victims was suspended until Thursday morning due to a combination of inaccessible terrain and a fire that continued burning fiercely at the wreckage.
Police commander David Nkoroi at the scene said the intensity of the fire had rendered the bodies unrecognisable, making the retrieval process significantly more difficult and dangerous for the teams involved.
Police commander David Nkoroi speaks
"The fire and the way the bodies have been burned has hindered us from retrieving them for today. So we are going to start the exercise very early in the morning tomorrow because already the bodies are burned beyond recognition and the fire is very fierce," the commander said.
Among the items salvaged from the wreckage were personal effects belonging to the victims, including mobile phones and cameras.
Authorities said these items would be handed over to next of kin once the identities of the deceased had been confirmed. Nkoroi did not disclose the nationalities of those who perished.
KCAA confirms aircraft's registration details
Dangera, a local tour operator who was among the first responders at the scene, said aircraft debris was scattered across a wide area around the point of impact, pointing to the force with which the helicopter came down.
The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA) confirmed the aircraft's registration details and is expected to open a formal investigation into the cause of the crash.
Recovery efforts were set to resume at first light on Thursday morning, with teams racing to retrieve the three bodies still trapped inside the burnt-out wreckage before conditions at the remote site deteriorated further.
Was Johanna Ngeno's helicopter fuelled with adulterated fuel?
In another story, TUKO.co.ke also highlighted about Rigathi Gachagua's allegations regarding the tragic crash of Johanna Ng’eno's helicopter, claiming it was refuelled with adulterated fuel before the fatal incident.
The shocking assertion not only raised serious concerns about aviation safety but also invited scrutiny into the actions of officials purportedly involved in covering up critical information surrounding Ng’eno's untimely death.
Source: TUKO.co.ke
Reporting originally appeared via TUKO. Read the full source for additional context.