Court orders police IG to post 3 officers at Gatoto Primary following handover
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
The High Court has ordered the Inspector General of Police National Police Service (NPS) Douglas Kanja to post three police officers to maintain peace at Gatoto Public Primary School following the handing over of the public school to five private individuals by PS Basic Education John Ololtuaa on August 19,2026.
Justice Gregory Mutai also directed Mr Gedion Ndambuki, a director of Gatoto Community Board of Management and Junior Secondary to pay for the services of the law enforcers to the NPS as provided for under the law.
The PS informed the court that the government has relinquished the management of the school following the court orders.
Urging the court to direct NPS to avail three police officers, the Law Society of Kenya (LSK) president Charles Kanjama said “the new managers have fears that they may be attacked by goons and forced out of the school again.”
Mr Kanjama informed the judge that on August 19,2026 the hand over exercise of the school to Mr Ndambuki’s team was peaceful as “the sponsors of goonsim had been kept at bay by Police through the command of OCPD Makadara Ms Judith Nyongesa.”
The handover exercise was overseen by DIG Eliud Langat , who attended the court proceedings then released by the judge to attend to other official engagements. “You are free to leave you have discharged your duty in ensuring a peaceful smooth hand over of Gatoto primary school management.”
However the judge was told still police presence in the school was much needed.
Stated Mr Kanjama: “I urge this court to order that police do remain in the school to maintain peace and keep at bay at insurgence by attackers as the new managers of the school are apprehensive that they be ambushed and attacked.”
Mr Kanjama also asked the judge to order the new Mukuru Kwa Reuben Chief Christine Marete, the OCS Mukuru Kwa Reuben, the District County Commissioner (DCC) not to discharge them from ensuring there is peace in the school.
Also Kanjama prayed the security agents do attend court after a month to explain whether learning has been disrupted.
“I urge this court to order the OCS, the Chief and the DCC not to be discharge from attending court for 30 days, ensure peace prevails in the school and the June 2025 court order is enforced by ensuring the new management is disrupted by goons,” Mr Kanjama submitted.
The application to have police at the school premises was opposed by Senior Counsel Paul Nyamondi saying “the new managers should not use the police force to help them administer and run the school.”
Mr Nyamondi told the judge that the new managers want to convert police into a militia to ward off any attacks from without.
But Mr Kanjama said there is a provision in the Police Act their services can be hired by individual citizens.
The judge allowed Mr Ndambuki and team to hire for the police service in the manner prescribed under the law.
Soon after the judge ordered police presence in the school lawyer Danstan Omari and Martina Swiga for the parents disclosed to the judge there is imminent fear by Grade 9 students that they may not seat for their exams since the new entity that has taken over the management is “not registered by the Kenya National Examination Council-Knec- as an examination center.”
“Schools are opening on August 24,2026 and Grade 9 students are not sure whether they will sit and write their exams and get results since Gatoto Community Primary and Junior Secondary is not a registered examination Center,” Mr Omari told the court.
He added that the government sponsored teachers posted by the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) will be withdrawn and learning will be disrupted.
Also, Mr Omari said Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja has been feeding the 1,800 students in the school through the- Dishi Na County feeding programme, which will also be withdrawn as it is meant for the public schools.
Ms Swiga said the students come from a very poor background and will not afford exorbitant fees charged by private schools.
Additionally, she said girls have been getting sanitary towels from the government, and the new managers may not provide them.
In a rejoinder, Mr Kanjama said the new managers had earlier run the school smoothly for 30 years and there is nothing to overwhelm them.
The LSK president said Mr Ndambuki’s team has already held meetings with around 60 qualified teachers who will take over teaching incase TSC withdraws the government sponsored teachers.
The judge heard that news aired by NTV featured parents of the school dancing and chanting “our managers have come back”.
All systems go
Mr Kanjama said that as opposed to the averments by a few parents that the new managers will fail, they have sponsorship on feeding and paying of school fees for the needy students.
The court heard that the new managers will liase with Knec on the issue of exams and “there should be no worry”.
As a follow up, the judge ordered all the parties to appear in court on September 25,2026 to report on how the school is running.
Justice Mutai also directed the PS Education to ensure that the school under the new managers is properly registered and all the necessary certifications issued to the new managers.
Meanwhile the judge lifted a warrant of arrest issued against a former Mukuru kwa Reuben Chief David Ndirangu after he satisfactorily explained that he had never been served with any court orders requiring him to ensure a smooth take-over of the school by the Ndambuki led team.
Reporting originally appeared via Nation Africa. Read the full source for additional context.