Tension mounts in Homa Bay as goons storm hotel to hunt for Linda Mwananchi members
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
Tension remained high in Homa Bay on Sunday ahead of a planned political rally by the Linda Mwananchi with armed goons blocking and terrorising people.
AFP journalists Fred Ooko and Brian Ongoro were injured and their gadgets and documents stolen as they went about their work, in an attack by a group armed with crude weapons.
Mr Ooko said he was dragged along the road and beaten with clubs before a boda boda rider who knew him intervened and helped him escape to a nearby town called Olare.
“My colleague, Brian Ongoro, was also beaten. He lost his phone and camera. My licence, press card and other assorted items were taken,” Mr Ooko said.
The rowdy youths placed boulders and logs on the Homa Bay-Rongo road to prevent motorists from passing, while others lit bonfires in different sections, further sealing off access to the town. Some appeared undeterred by the presence of armed security officers patrolling the streets.
The Linda Mwananchi caravan headed towards Homa Bay County through the Suneka-Rangwe road, but was forced to use the Rangwe-Rodi Kopany road before proceeding towards Ndhiwa.
However, before reaching Ndhiwa, the convoy encountered groups that had barricaded the road. Police officers lobbed teargas to disperse the crowds and clear the route.
Earlier on Saturday, armed youths stormed a beach hotel in Homa Bay Town, forcing guests to flee as they allegedly searched for members and supporters of the Linda Mwananchi Movement.
The management of the hotel reported the incident to police, saying the youths, armed with crude weapons, raided the establishment and flushed out guests.
The incident, which left workers and clients traumatised, came moments after a politician believed to be the Homa Bay Town constituency Member of Parliament Opondo Kaluma was captured on video urging a group of suspected supporters to ransack hotels and flush out members of Linda Mwananchi.
“I am ordering that from this moment, let’s go out and conduct a door- to-door search in all places of accommodation and get them out. I am also warning hotel owners here in Homa Bay Town to be careful of who they are hosting tonight. We shall cross with that guest and, if need be, even the hotel,” he was heard threatening in the viral video.
The proprietor of Homa Bay Tourist Hotel, Otieno Odongo, reported that the armed youths stormed the premises and began inspecting rooms.
He said up to 50 people were involved in the Saturday evening attack.
Double attack
The raid reportedly targeted Linda Mwananchi supporters who had arrived in the county ahead of a scheduled rally on Sunday.
According to the hotel management, the facility was attacked twice, with the first raid taking place at about 1pm.
“The goons were armed with crude weapons. They claimed they were looking for members of the Linda Mwananchi team who were allegedly within the hotel,” Mr Odongo said.
Witnesses said the attackers chased away guests and terrified workers as they smashed glass doors.
The hotel management said the youths also destroyed CCTV cameras, apparently seeking to erase traces of their intrusion. “They also removed items and switched off all the lights in the restaurant and hallway,” a hotel official said.
The attackers returned at about 4pm, again claiming to be searching for Linda Mwananchi members.
“They continued chasing out guests and officers and started looting. They broke into each and every room looking for guests and looted everything from them,” the official added.
By the time the attackers left, the premises had been left badly damaged, with shattered glass scattered across the hotel.
In the video shared widely online, Mr Kaluma is also heard telling a crowd: “Some people are saying they will come tomorrow (Sunday). That is not true. They are already here.”
According to the legislator, their political rivals had infiltrated Orange Democratic Movement circles.
“I met you last time and realised that there are people who are ready to join them. Some were noting down names of people who will join the team,” Mr Kaluma said and cautioned that Homa Bay Town would not tolerate anyone opposed to the re-election of President William Ruto.
“As from today, we are declaring that anyone, saying ‘One Term’, we shall ‘cross with him’. If you know that you are a Gachagua sympathiser, please disappear,” he warned.
He further announced that he had provided funds to be used as fuel to ferry people to different hotels in search of their political competitors.
“I have already sorted out your leaders. Your fuel for today has been catered for,” he said.
The developments came as police intensified security ahead of the Linda Mwananchi rally.
On Friday, police announced that they had arrested three men suspected of planning to cause chaos during the rally. The suspects were arrested near Nyangweso Trading Centre along the Homa Bay-Kendu Bay road while travelling in a saloon car.
Police confiscated two machetes, a knife and a jacket used by the National Youth Service.
Homa Bay County Commissioner Ronald Mwiwawi warned youths against being used to cause violence during political gatherings. He said there was no justification for anyone to attack a fellow Kenyan because of political differences.
“We don’t want to hear of a situation where anybody uses a panga to attack a fellow Kenyan. Those who are found doing so will be arrested,” Mr Mwiwawi said.
He urged political leaders to allow their opponents to access every part of the county, saying they should sell their policies to the people rather than plot against one another.
Reporting originally appeared via Nation Africa. Read the full source for additional context.