Lenana principal quits in early retirement plan
This story has significance for readers across Kenya and beyond.
The chief principal of Lenana School, William Kiplagat Kemei, has left the school, just weeks before opening for the third term and ahead of national examinations.
The surprise early retirement of Mr Kemei comes amid unresolved questions over the student unrest that rocked the school in June, leading to its closure and protests by parents when the learners resumed school.
A source at the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) confirmed Mr Kemei’s early retirement request and that he has been replaced by Mr Solomon Koech, who has been the chief principal of Nanyuki High School.
Mr Kemei’s departure took effect on August 1, and was communicated to parents through a message by the chairperson of the Parents Association, Jonah Marahpash.
“Mr William Kiplagat Kemei has opted for early retirement with effect from 1st August 2026,” reads the notice, which did not state reasons for his early exit.
The abrupt change of leadership at one of Kenya’s leading national schools is likely to raise questions, coming barely two months after students went on strike over grievances surrounding the school’s Cultural Day held at the start of Term Two.
It is also coming just weeks before the start of the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examination (KCSE), which usually requires the head of the institution to coordinate rehearsals and many of the final preparations.
The June 1 unrest led to the temporary closure of the school and the suspension of more than 100 students who were accused of various offences, including destruction of property, incitement and drug-related offences.
A senior education official familiar with the disciplinary deliberations explained that the students had contributed money towards organising the Cultural Day event but complained that some of the girls' schools expected to attend failed to show up.
The students also questioned the organisers' decision to invite a different musician instead of the artist they had proposed.
The perceived shortcomings prompted students to demand accountability for the funds, arguing that the event fell short of previous editions, with the grievances later escalating to unrest that culminated in the destruction of school property.
Following the disturbances, parents were required to contribute Sh3,600 per learner towards repairs.
However, damage schedules and costing documents circulated afterwards sparked questions among parents over how the repair costs had been determined and approved.
The senior education official said the disciplinary process is also examining whether there were failures on the part of school administrators that may have contributed to the unrest.
The school resumed learning on June 10 through a phased readmission programme after the unrest.
However, students whose cases had been referred to the Nairobi County Education Board remained out of school pending determination of their cases.
In July, Nairobi Regional Director of Education Reuben Kipturgo said officials were working to conclude the disciplinary process.
The school’s Board of Management had recommended the expulsion of students it identified as ringleaders before forwarding their cases to the County Education Board for adjudication.
Reporting originally appeared via Nation Africa. Read the full source for additional context.